Saturday, November 29, 2008

Bombay is in recovery and I am still reeling with disbelief,

I swim at a 4/5star, the cop at the gate apologetically checked my bag,

"babie karna padta hai" he said, oh by all means check away I said...

while at the pool a cracker went off, we all stopped everyone in and out of the pool and looked around half expecting gun weilding terrorists to come running out of the hotel, I took a deep breath and ducked underwater...wondered how long I'd be able to stay under and out of sight if they did come running out...

We don't ever anticipate a thing like this, we can't say our authorities weren't prepared, they like us never did envision such a audacious attack, It could've been any of us he said, I agreed, was it 2? or maybe 3 weeks agao we were at leopold upstairs drinking orange breezers because it reminded us of "goldspot" that we used to drink as kids and never quite got over :) (mirinda, fanta YUCK!)

it could've been us,

Was it prior to that? a couple of weekends before? that we stumbled into the taj for a relaxing cup of cammomile tea, as I was feeling unwell, the staff replenished my cup almost like magic...

it could've been us,

Was it last weekend where we debated whether it was going to be Bades or indigo, settling on Indigo deli and walking to the car a stones throw from the taj....

it could've been us,

But it wasn't....it wasn't our time....but who can say it was theirs?

snatched shot down on dinner dates and birthdays or on one's way home.....

I don't want to bounce back or be resilient

I don't want to have to be resilient.....

DO we know the reasons for this attack?

Do they?

I bet if you asked them their cause they wouldn't know either....

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

http://phkodial.sulekha.com/blog/post/2008/11/an-open-letter-to-the-terrorists.htm

Anonymous said...

you think if they knew what they were fighting they would stop? you think they would continue or start even?

i wonder what it would be like for them to see their families die in front of their eyes and be able to do nothing about it.

soldiers never start wars - and they were soldiers.

we all have to die one day, and if violence is supposed to beget violence how in the world do you explain why the victims died the way they did?

if the authorities did pin down the responsible parties would/could they do anything about it?

do you think 6 months down the line most of us would even have this kind of emotion running through us?

a colleague,"it's just like a movie"


bottomline - they tried, we stopped. they may try again, we will stop again.

Chrisann said...

Hi, thank you anon 1
and anon 2
In all of this insanity, I am looking for reasons for why this is to be
beause my mind cannot wrap itself round the mindless
I cannot bear that they will try again though that is 100% likely

crooked toe said...

I dont know if its fear or anger.....i dont know if its sorrow i feel for those we've lost or relief for those who survived....what i do know is my Bombay will never be the same again...

Anonymous said...

I'm going to gateway tomorrow...

Jagjit said...

Yeah, i agree - it cud have been anyone. I escaped the Vile Parle blast barely by an hour.

What's worse is that even now the security is pathetic. I don't know what they mean by high alert. In today's TOI, a man is shown brandishing his .33 bore pistol.

He got through the CST station without getting checked. Maybe it's the hope that it's over for now and they can relax for maybe six months or so...

Chrisann said...

Dear Jagjit, I saw that in this mornings paper too and was horrified, some say with our numbers it is a security nightmare, are we willing to give up certain rights to be safe? like delays and long checking lines?
how many of us curse naka bandis and checks at movie theatres...
We live in times of war and need to be prepared always...

Sathish said...

There is nothing called "They" it is always "We". In-spite of all the killing and bombing, it is still "We". Only that some are differently guided.

These will cease, when there is realization it is "We"